The Belogradchik Rocks (Belogradchishki skali) is one of the most
famous and most impressive nature phenomenon in Bulgaria. They are a
group of bizarre sandstone and limestone rock formations with different
and amazing shapes, reaching up to 200 m in height. They form a strip,
which is 30 km long and up to 3 km wide, and are located north of the
western slopes of Stara Planina, near the town of Belogradchik in
Bulgaria. The formations are a product of erosion.
The name of the Rocks comes from the name of the town of
The rocks were declared a natural landmark in 1949 Every distinct rock
is named after an object it is believed to resemble and the formations
vary from red through yellow to grey in colour.
The natural phenomenon has amazing shapes - rock castles, palaces,
fortresses, silhouettes of people, birds and animals, etc.
In accordance of their interesting shapes, the rocks have similar
names. Some of the most interesting and impressive groups of rocks are
called: the Pine Stone /Borov Kamuk/, Adam and Eve, the Sphinx, the
Schoolgirl, the Nun, the Bear, the rock mushrooms, Madonna, the
Horseman, The Monks etc.
If you travel from Sofia by car you will see at first the
Falkov-Borovets group of rocks with Momina Skala (Maiden’s Rock),
Pchelin kamak, Torlaka, Borovishki Kamak etc. Lipenitsa group is to the
east of the town among which biggest interest evoke the Dinosaur and
the Latin Kale (a strategic fortress surrounded by a fortified wall).
It is worth seeing the Lepenishka Cave in which charred wheat and
vessels dating 2000 years ago were found, and the Izvozki oak – more
than 1200 years old. Among the Zbegovska group of rocks to the west of
the town a great impression make the Twins, the rocks in the area
called Magaza, Small and Big Zbeg, which were used as fortresses, the
lonely obelisk Borich and the Belogradchik stone bridge. The central
group rises immediately above the town. One can see about 100 m high
lonely rocks named Adam and Eve, the delicate Madonna, Konnika (The
Rider), Uchenichkata (The Schoolgirl), Mechkata (The Bear), the Dervish
(Muslim clergyman), the impressive Borov Kamak, Monasite (The Monks),
the fantastic kale with ancient fortress walls, above which the most
magic rock wonders rise.
The most characteristic peculiarity of the Belogradchik Fortress is the
perfect inclusion of the unapproachable rocks in the whole fortress
system. Three construction periods can be seen in the buildings - Roman
and Byzantine (1st-6th centuries), Byzantine and Bulgarian (8th-14th
centuries) and Turkish (1805-1837). The constructions of the last
period prevail in its present-day outlook. The fortress is situated at
10200 sq. m and has 5 gates, 4 of which are main. Magourata or the
Rabishkata Peshtera (Rabisha Cave) is found near the village of
Rabisha, 16 km west of the town of Dimovo, 50 km southwest from Vidin
and 34 km northwest of Belogradchik. It was formed about 3-4 million
years ago in the Magoura Hill, 463 m high. Inside one can see unique
halls and formations as Triumphalnata Zala (The hall of tryumphs),
Harmana (The wheat thrashing site), the Hall of the Stalactone,
Glinenite Piramidi (The mud pyramids), Povaleniyat Bor (The fallen
pine-tree), Vkamenenata Reka (The Stoned River), The Fiords, etc. The
exit of the cave is through Vratach on the bank of the Rabisha Lake.
Primitive men lived there. The wall drawings made with bat excrements
are the only ones in the caves at the Balkan Peninsular. These
masterpieces of late prehistoric art date back from the beginning of
the Bronze Age. The cave was used by Manush Voivoda as a shelter.
Magourata Cave is electrified, the length of its galleries are 2500 m.
A minimal entry fee is paid. There is a hotel, a restaurant, pavilions
and other buildings round it. There is a regular bus transport to the
area from Belogradchik and the town of Dimovo